Monday 12 March 2012

Media consumes Jalisa  *my 12hr media consumption *

So I know we all like to "say" that we can go a day without our blackberries, a week without our Facebook accounts, 2weeks without access to the internet..*God forbid*.....but who are we fooling really? Some of us are actually truthful in saying that we are addicted to some form of media, social media in particular, because it is our need to keep connected to the world and each other. We believe it is our duty to contribute to the societal discussion of what's deemed important, so we seek to remain "in the know" by keeping our devices closer to our hearts than our ID's, wallets, money, even some necessary medications *yes some instances some people forget to take their pills but will never forget their blackberries, true story...funny ain't it?* 


Maybe it's because social media helps to document our every move and share it, that we as human beings tap into our competitive nature and attempt to win the race of comparing and contrasting who has the better or more exciting life, who has the smarter thoughts words or actions. Maybe it's because social media allows us to create and extra branch of our lives that makes the appearance to others that our lives are more exciting than it really is...vicariously living through our virtual selves as a result it appears that we are bored with our own lives that we must live virtually to give life meaning. However it may be social media has taken over everything that we do and say, and how we do so.  As a mater of fact, media in general has changed the way we operate daily, the simple rituals we must follow has been adapted drastically so that we include some form of media to go about our day. Anyway, i'm rambling, so let's look at my media consumption, and how it possibly consumes me as an individual.......you be the judge.


Since I basically live two lives, I will be doing two blogs on my media consumption, one looking at a typical day when I work and the other looking at a typical day when I don't *two for the price of one, you get a 24hour look instead of 12, go figure*


Working days:


5:30 am : Alarm clock screams....roll over reach for my bb to check messages sent the night before, fb messages and emails


6:00am : Drag myself in front of the television to eat breakfast and watch television........gets carried away with the time, and movie, starts organizing for work 10mins later than I should


Getting ready for work......


Listen to 96.7fm *J.W and Blaze morning show * to start my day off right *with laughter*


7:00am : Leave with earphones securely plugged in ears either listening to the remainder of the show or switch over to my playlist...to pump me up or calm me down for the day *depending on whether I believe it'll be a good day at work ; it never is*


8:00am: Arrive at work chill till 9:00am to begin, still listening to music I enjoy ...encourages me to be in a better mood to work


Begins work.....


Throughout the day take a bathroom break or water break to check the annoying and previous buzzing in my pocket....check and respond to messages, delete and respond to email, return miss calls.


Afterwork.....on the way to class


2:30pm: Listen to music again while waiting a year and a day for the shuttle to arrive....realizes that the shuttle gave a meggie again and walks with music still in my ears, switch to an upbeat playlist to prepare for the walk, all the while checking my fb newsfeed of the day and updates on bbm....update status etc.


5:30 pm: In class, occasionally check messages and respond to messages.....



................................................................Typical day...............................................







No comments:

Post a Comment